Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Random things I like...the first edition

John Cusack said it best in High Fidelity:

"...what really matters is what you like, not what you are like... Books, records, films -- these things matter. Call me shallow but it's the fuckin' truth..."

I think people have a natural need to belong to social groups, and this leads people to define themselves by things they're into.  "I'm a runner," "I'm into horror flicks," "I only eat at independent pizza parlors."

I see no problem with this whatsoever.  The world is awash in stuff that we've created (and stuff that we haven't), and with so many things to try, I think it's cool to consider the items that have really made a positive impression on your life - even at a superficial level.

So without further adieu, I present a random list of things I've found in the world that make me happy:

  • Mountain Dew - mostly the original, but LiveWire's great too
  • Taco Bell
  • RC Cola is totally underrated, but that's what I like about it
  • Frisbee - I can play for hours and somehow I don't get bored
  • Winnie the Pooh
  • Vibrant colors - really in any context other than my own clothes
  • Rich desserts, specifically Chocolate Mousse, Lemon Meringue Pie, and Key Lime Pie
  • Early Grey tea with milk and sugar
  • Sour gummy candy
  • Telling a good joke - a rarity for me
  • Picking and using aromatic hand or body soap - I get wayyy too excited when it's time to pick a new one
  • The beginning of a road trip
  • Long-form snack time
  • The feeling of having "earned" a meal, usually from intense or extended physical activity
So a lot of this list turned out to be food.  I guess I take a lot of joy from eating.  It's true, actually.  I love to eat.  Usually after a meal, it takes about 45 minutes until I'm wondering about the next one.

Also, I will start posting more than once a week.  I just need to get in the habit of "just doing it."

Which reminds me...
  • Nike running shoes...mostly because they run narrow with good arch support

    No comments:

    Post a Comment